It’s National Eye Exam Month, which is the perfect time to get your yearly eye exam! Seeing clearly is essential for performance. In sports 80% of you sensory input comes from your eyes, so it’s important to have regular eye exams to make sure that you have good eyesight!
Being able to see things clearly is called visual acuity, which affects our:
- Eye hand coordination (ability to connect visual info to direct hand movement)
- Depth perception (ability accurately assess the speed and distance of objects)
- Eye focusing (ability to change focus from one object to another)
- Eye tracking (ability to keep your eye on objects as they move)
- Peripheral awareness (ability to see out of the corner of your eyes to see surroundings)
- Dynamic visual acuity (ability to see clearly see objects as they move)
As you can see from this list, it’s essential to get yearly eye exams to ensure we have the best visual acuity possible! This is especially important as we age because our eyes slowly lose the ability to focus clearly, which decreases our performance.
However the benefits of having good eyesight go beyond athletic performance because visual acuity improves your reaction times and ability to process visual information. This leads to safer driving, better reflexes, less strain on the eyes when working at a computer and many more benefits in everyday life! So if you have not had your eyes tested in the last 12 months, it’s time to call and make an appointment today!