Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
Shepherd’s pie is one of my favorite healthy comfort foods! Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with this tasty meal!
Ingredients: Serves 8
- 2-2.5 lb gold potatoes
- 2 tbsp salt
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- ½ bunch of parsley (washed and chopped)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 cup beef broth
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder / cornstarch / flour
- 1 tbsp worcester sauce
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 lb mushrooms (baby bello or white button)
- 1 lb mixed frozen veggies (whatever kind you like; I like corn, carrots, green beans, peas)
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese
- Use butter or cooking spray to grease a 9×13 casserole dish. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Wash, peel, and cube the potatoes.
- Place potato cubes in a pot, add 2 tbsp salt and cover with 1 inch of water. Bring to a boil and cook until they break apart when you stick it with a fork (about 20 minutes).
- While the potatoes are cooking, chop onion into small dice. Peel and chop all the garlic.
- When the potatoes are done, drain the water. Mash the potatoes, adding sea salt, butter, sour cream, black pepper, parsley and set aside.
- Into a large frying pan, add olive oil and diced onions. Cook until they become translucent, then add ground beef. Saute on medium high until the meat is crumbled into small pieces (it’s ok if it’s still pink as it will bake in the oven). Transfer the meat to the casserole dish, creating a solid layer on the bottom.
- As the meat cooks, chop the mushrooms into slices.
- Put the mushrooms into the large frying pan and saute on medium high heat. While they cook, whisk the beef broth, worcester sauce, and arrowroot (or cornstarch / flour) in a small bowl. Add this sauce to the mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- When the mushrooms are getting close to done, add the chopped garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer the mushrooms to the casserole dish, creating a solid layer over the meat. Be sure to add all the juices and distribute evenly across the pan.
- Spread frozen mixed veggies in a solid layer on top of the mushrooms.
- Spoon the mashed potatoes on top of the mixed veggies in the casserole dish and smooth out to be an even layer.
- Sprinkle the cheddar cheese on top, making a light even coating on the dish.
- Put in the oven and bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Cut into 8 servings and enjoy!